Rookwood is a suburb in western Sydney, in the confess of New South Wales, Australia located 14 kilometres west of the Sydney central matter district, in the local government area of the Cumberland Council. It is the easternmost suburb in greater western Sydney.
Rookwood Cemetery is the largest cemetery in the Southern Hemisphere.
Rookwood was named from a title of an 1834 novel by William Harrison Ainsworth (1805–1882). A railway station called Haslam’s Creek was opened in this Place in 1859, on the railway extraction from Sydney to Parramatta. Samuel Haslam owned various grants in contradiction of the creek from 1804. Haslam’s Creek was the site of the first railway misfortune in New South Wales in July 1858, which resulted in two deaths.
When the necropolis opened in 1867, it was known as Haslam’s Creek Cemetery. Residents disliked the attachment with the burial arena and in 1876 the suburb was renamed Rookwood. The publicize of the railway station was misrepresented to Rookwood in 1878; and, by the 1880s, shops were customary in the area. In 1891, the Municipality of Rookwood was incorporated (renamed Lidcombe in 1913).
Over time, the necropolis had become known as Rookwood Cemetery. By 1898, residents were again excited about the attachment of their suburb later the cemetery; and, in 1914, the railway station and the residential share of the suburb became Lidcombe. Later, Rookwood railway station that served the Rookwood Cemetery was located amongst the bridge more than Arthur street and the westernmost junction of the Flemington rail yard.
The Municipality of Lidcombe amalgamated in the express of Auburn from 1 January 1949.
Rookwood railway station was on Sydney’s Main Suburban railway origin until its interruption in 1967. The Rookwood Cemetery Line serviced Rookwood Cemetery and originally ran from Mortuary railway station, on Regent Street close Central railway station but has since closed.
The Cemetery railway stock opened on 22 October 1864. At the epoch of its initiation the stock went as far afield as Cemetery Station No. 1. On 26 May 1897 an further explanation of the line to Cemetery Station No. 3 was opened. The development required the removal of a waiting room upon the rear wall of the Cemetery Station No. 1, so the descent could pass right through the building. A definite extension, to Cemetery Station No. 4 opened on 19 June 1908. The extraction closed in 1948.
33°52′22″S 151°03′20″E / 33.87276°S 151.05562°E