Blocked shower drain can be a real headache for homeowners, causing inconvenience and even water damage if left unattended. Whether it’s a buildup of hair, soap scum, or other debris, a clogged shower drain can lead to standing water and slow drainage, making it difficult to use your shower.
In these situations, it’s crucial to call in a professional plumber who can assess the problem and provide an effective solution. In this article, we will explore some of these techniques and discuss how they help to ease the problem quickly and effectively.
What is a blocked shower drain?
A blocked shower drain occurs when water is unable to flow freely through the drain and backs up, causing standing water in the shower or slow drainage. If left unaddressed, a blocked shower drain can lead to unpleasant odours, water damage, and even plumbing system backups.
What causes a blocked shower drain?
- When it comes to blocked shower drains, the most common culprits are hair and soap scum. Over time, these can build up and form a blockage in your shower drain, leading to slow drainage and standing water.
- In addition, if you use petroleum jelly-based products in the shower such as shaving cream or bubble bath, these can also contribute to clogs.
- Finally, hard water can cause mineral deposits to form on the side of your pipes, which can also lead to clogs over time.
What are the effective methods for clearing a blocked shower drain?
There are several pieces of equipment that are commonly used to clear a blocked shower drain. Some of these include:
- Baking soda and vinegar: To unclog a shower drain, remove the drain cover. Pour one cup of baking soda down the opening, followed by one cup of vinegar. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes before pouring hot water down the drain to flush away the clog.
- Pour boiling water: Boiling water can be an effective and simple way to clear a clogged shower drain. Simply pour the drain with boiling water, and repeat as necessary.
- Plunger: A plunger can be used to create pressure and force the clog out of the drain. Cover the overflow drain and use the plunger to create a seal over the drain. Then, plunge up and down vigorously for a few minutes.
- Drain snake: A drain snake is a long, flexible tool that can be inserted into the drain to remove hair clogs and other debris. Insert the snake into the drain and twist it until it reaches the clog. Then, pull the snake out to remove the clog.
It’s worth noting that preventative measures can be taken to avoid clogged shower drains. Regularly pouring a mixture of white vinegar and hot water down the drain can help break down soap scum and prevent clogs from forming. Additionally, using a hair trap can catch hair before it goes down the drain and creates a hair clog. Finally, avoid pouring oil and grease down the drain, as they can solidify and create blockages.
Who will you call for help?
If you have a blocked shower drain that you’re unable to clear using other methods. It’s recommended to call a professional plumber for help. A plumber can provide drain cleaning services using specialised equipment and techniques. They will effectively remove hair clogs, soap scum, and other debris that may be causing the blockage. They can also diagnose any underlying issues and repair any damage to your plumbing system, if necessary.
What techniques do plumbers use to unclog a blocked shower drain?
Plumbers have various techniques at their disposal to unclog a blocked shower drain. Depending on the severity and cause of the blockage. Common techniques include using a plunger for minor blockages caused by hair or soap scum. Snaking the drain to remove obstructions and hydro jetting with high-pressure water to blast away debris. They also use a drain camera to inspect the blockage and chemical drain cleaners break up and dissolve the blockage. It’s crucial to note that some of these techniques may not be suitable for all types of blockages or plumbing systems. A plumber will need to assess the situation to determine the best approach.
Are you looking for a plumbing company to unclog your drain?
If you need help unclogging your drain, make sure to look for an experienced and reliable plumbing company. Ask friends or family for recommendations or look online for reviews of local companies.
Once you’ve found potential companies, be sure to ask questions about their experience, rates, and services offered. Choosing the right company can make all the difference in getting your drains back up and running quickly and effectively.
Overall, if you’re experiencing a blocked shower drain, there are several methods you can try to unclog it. If these methods don’t work, it’s time to call a plumber for help. A plumber can provide drain cleaning services using specialised equipment and techniques to effectively remove hair clogs, soap scum, and other debris that may be causing the blockage.
When looking for a plumbing company, go with one that has plenty of experience and a good reputation. You can call us today if you’re looking for a plumbing company to unclog your shower drain. Our experienced plumbers can provide reliable and efficient services to get your shower drains back up and running quickly. We also offer services such as toilet repairs, leaking tap repairs, leaking roof repairs, backflow prevention and many more.